Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Vendor that mishandled Pennsylvania virus data to pay $2.7 million in federal whistleblower case -Zenith Investment School
Rekubit Exchange:Vendor that mishandled Pennsylvania virus data to pay $2.7 million in federal whistleblower case
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:42:23
A large staffing firm that performed COVID-19 contact tracing for Pennsylvania and Rekubit Exchangeexposed the private medical information of about 72,000 residents will pay $2.7 million in a settlement with the Justice Department and a company whistleblower, federal prosecutors announced Wednesday.
The Pennsylvania Department of Health paid Atlanta-based Insight Global tens of millions of dollars to administer the state’s contact tracing program during the height of the pandemic. The company was responsible for identifying and contacting people who had been exposed to the coronavirus so they could quarantine.
Employees used unauthorized Google accounts — readily viewable online — to store names, phone numbers, email addresses, COVID-19 exposure status, sexual orientations and other information about residents who had been reached for contact tracing, even though the company’s contract with the state required it to safeguard such data.
State health officials fired Insight Global in 2021 after the data breach came to light. A subsequent federal whistleblower lawsuit alleged that Insight Global secured its lucrative contract with Pennsylvania knowing that it lacked secure computer systems and adequate cybersecurity.
The whistleblower — a former Insight Global contractor — complained to company management that residents’ health information was potentially accessible to the public, according to the lawsuit. The company initially ignored her, then, when pressed, told the whistleblower “it was not willing to pay for the necessary computer security systems and instead preferred to use its contract funds to hire large numbers of workers,” the lawsuit said.
It took Insight Global five months to start securing residents’ protected medical information, according to the U.S. Justice Department.
“Contractors for the government who do not follow procedures to safeguard individuals’ personal health information will be held accountable,” Maureen R. Dixon, who heads up the inspector general’s office at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, said Wednesday in a statement on the settlement, of which the whistleblower is set to receive nearly $500,000.
Insight Global, which has about 70 offices in the U.S., Canada and the U.K., has previously acknowledged it mishandled sensitive information and apologized. The company said at the time it only belatedly became aware that employees had set up the unauthorized Google accounts for sharing information.
A message was sent to the company Wednesday seeking comment on the settlement.
veryGood! (1173)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Last Chance: Score Best-Selling Bodysuits Under $20 Before Amazon Prime Day 2024 Ends
- Trump-Putin ties are back in the spotlight after new book describes calls
- US inflation likely cooled again last month in latest sign of a healthy economy
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Minnesota Twins to be put up for sale by Pohlad family, whose owned the franchise since 1984
- Anne Hathaway Apologizes to Reporter for Awkward 2012 Interview
- RHONY's Brynn Whitfield Debuts Dramatic Hair Transformation That Made Her Cry
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Polluted waste from Florida’s fertilizer industry is in the path of Milton’s fury
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs' lawyers accuse government of leaking video of Cassie assault
- TikTok star now charged with murder in therapists' death: 'A violent physical altercation'
- The Daily Money: Revisiting California's $20 minimum wage
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Hurricane Milton hitting near the sixth anniversary of Hurricane Michael
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Three Bags Full
- Tampa Bay was spared catastrophic storm surge from Hurricane Milton. Here's why.
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Francisco Lindor gives Mets fans a Citi Field moment they'll never forget
Don’t Miss These Hidden Gems From Amazon Prime Big Deal Days – Fashion, Beauty & More, up to 80% Off
Boost Your Forex Trading Success with Forex Broker Reviews (reviews-broker.com)
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
'Do not do this': Dog tied to fence as Hurricane Milton advances highlights pet danger
Tesla is unveiling its long-awaited robotaxi amid doubts about the technology it runs on
Polluted waste from Florida’s fertilizer industry is in the path of Milton’s fury