Current:Home > NewsItaly bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue -Zenith Investment School
Italy bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:05:12
Italy's Culture Ministry has banned loans of works to the Minneapolis Institute of Art, following a dispute with the U.S. museum over an ancient marble statue believed to have been looted from Italy almost a half-century ago.
The dispute began in March 2022 when an Italian court ruled that the Minneapolis museum was irregularly in possession of the Stabiae Doriforo, a Roman-era copy of The Doryphoros of Polykleitos, an ancient Greek sculpture.
Rome claims that the sculpture was looted in the 1970s from an archaeological site at Stabiae, an ancient city close to Pompeii that was also covered by lava and ashes when Mount Vesuvius erupted in A.D. 79.
Massimo Osanna, director general of national museums for Italy's Ministry of Culture, confirmed the ban in a statement given to WCCO on Thursday.
"The situation for us is very clear: the statue was excavated illegally in Italy and illegally left our territory," Osanna said. "Until the Doryphoros will be returned, there will be no further cooperation from our entire national museum system with the museum in Minneapolis."
In February 2022, Italian prosecutors issued an international warrant for the artwork to be impounded and returned. At a news conference earlier this year, Nunzio Fragliasso, chief prosecutor at the Torre Annunziata court, said they were "still awaiting a response."
In 1984, while the work was on display in a German museum, Italy initiated a legal proceeding to claim it. The claim was denied in 1986. The U.S. museum, which bought the statue in 1986 for $2.5 million, said it was purchased from art dealer Elie Borowski and imported into the United States.
"Since that time, the work has been publicly displayed and extensively published," the Minneapolis museum said in a statement. "While it takes issue with recent press reports regarding the Doryphoros, Mia (the museum) believes that the media is not an appropriate forum to address unproven allegations."
The museum asserted that it has always acted "responsibly and proactively" with respect to claims related to its collection. However, it added, "where proof has not been provided, as well as where Mia has evidence reasonably demonstrating that a claim is not supported, Mia has declined to transfer the work."
The museum called Italy's new ban on loans "contrary to decades of exchanges between museums."
The Minnesota Institute of Art originally opened its doors in 1915. The museum expanded in 1974 and 2006.
There are more than 89,000 objects held in the museum.
- In:
- Rome
- Italy
- Politics
- Entertainment
- Minneapolis
veryGood! (4413)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- California's Line Fire grows to 26,000 acres, more evacuations underway: See wildfire map
- EPA says Vermont fails to comply with Clean Water Act through inadequate regulation of some farms
- 2024 lottery winners: How many people have won Mega Millions, Powerball jackpots?
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- The SKIMS Push-Up Bra Hailed as “Better Than a Boob Job” Just Got Even Better With This New Launch
- Massive $4.2B NV Energy transmission line gets federal approval
- Video shows a SpaceX rocket launch 4-member crew for daring Polaris Dawn mission
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- The Mega Millions jackpot is $800 million. In what states can the winner remain anonymous.
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Travis Kelce and Jason Kelce Give Cheeky Shoutout to Taylor Swift Ahead of 2024 MTV VMAs
- Bachelorette's Devin Strader Breaks Silence on Jenn Tran Finale Fallout
- Two people hospitalized after explosion at Kansas State Fair concession trailer
- Bodycam footage shows high
- New bodycam video shows police interviewing Apalachee school shooting suspect, father
- 'The Daily Show’ live debate episode with Jon Stewart: Start time, where to watch and stream
- USPS is ending discounts for shipping consolidators that tap into its vast delivery network
Recommendation
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
When does 'Survivor' Season 47 start? Premiere date, cast, where to watch and stream
Election officials warn that widespread problems with the US mail system could disrupt voting
A Philadelphia officer has died of his injuries from a June shooting
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Get 2 Benefit Porefessional Primers for the Price of 1: Blur Pores and Create a Photo-Filter Effect
When does 'Survivor' Season 47 start? Premiere date, cast, where to watch and stream
'The Daily Show’ live debate episode with Jon Stewart: Start time, where to watch and stream