Current:Home > StocksEthermac Exchange-Charles Barkley calls for Joe Biden to 'pass the torch' to younger nominee in election -Zenith Investment School
Ethermac Exchange-Charles Barkley calls for Joe Biden to 'pass the torch' to younger nominee in election
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:40:44
Charles Barkley says it's time for President Joe Biden to "pass the torch" to a new Democratic nominee.
During an appearance on Ethermac ExchangeCNBC's "Closing Bell," which aired live from the American Century Championship in Lake Tahoe, Nevada on Thursday, the Basketball Hall of Famer discussed the NBA’s new $76 billion TV and media rights deal, in addition to his upcoming retirement from TNT's "Inside the NBA" and television commentary after the 2024-25 NBA season. He also weighed in on the upcoming 2024 presidential election.
"I have nothing but admiration and respect for President Biden. But it's time for him to pass the torch to a younger generation," Barkley said. "(Biden) is one of the greatest people I've been fortunate to be around in my life, but it's time to pass the torch."
Barkley joins a growing list of supporters calling for Biden to withdraw from the presidential election amid concerns over about the president's age and health. Biden turns 82 in November.
"(Biden) has been a great person, he's a great man. This isn't something I'm saying now. I've said it a year ago. It's time for him to pass the torch," said Barkley, who added that he feels "sadness" about the upcoming election.
Despite his concerns about Biden and the Democratic Party, Barkley said he will not support President Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential candidate: "I would never vote for someone who has that mentality."
The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast. Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.
Barkley, who has served as a television analyst on TNT's "Inside the NBA" for 24 years, also addressed TNT being on the verge of losing the TV and media rights to the NBA to Disney (ABC/ESPN), NBC and Amazon. (Turner Sports does have an opportunity to match a portion of the deal, but the match involves more than a dollar amount, according to a person who spoke with USA TODAY Sports about the media rights deal. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly because details of the deal were still being tweaked.)
"I really feel bad for everybody at TNT," Barkley said. "I really hope we match. Honestly in my heart, I think we have lost the package. That's my honest opinion."
Barkley, 61, doubled down on his decision to retire if that's the case: "The main reason I was talking about next year being my last year – I wouldn't feel comfortable going to work for another network. It'll be 25 years that I've been working with Turner, and I love everybody at Turner, but at this age to go and start over, I don't know if I want to do that."
Contributing: Scooby Axson, Jeff Zillgitt
veryGood! (25)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- ACC commissioner Jim Phillips vows to protect league amid Clemson, Florida State lawsuits
- Beach Volleyball’s Miles Evans Reveals What He Eats in a Day Ahead of Paris Olympics
- How to play a game and win free Chick-fil-A: What to know about Code Moo
- Small twin
- Safety regulators are investigating another low flight by a Southwest jet, this time in Florida
- Jordan Love won't practice at Packers training camp until contract extension is reached
- See Claim to Fame Contestant Dedrick’s “Strange” Reaction to Celebrity Relative Guesses
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Florida’s population passes 23 million for the first time due to residents moving from other states
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Tobey Maguire's Ex Jennifer Meyer Shares How Gwyneth Paltrow Helped With Her Breakup
- Emma Hayes realistic about USWNT work needed to get back on top of world. What she said
- Man convicted of kidnapping Michigan store manager to steal guns gets 15 years in prison
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- 'Bachelorette' star's ex is telling all on TikTok: What happens when your ex is everywhere
- Miss Kansas Alexis Smith Calls Out Her Alleged Abuser Onstage in Viral Video
- Mark Carnevale, PGA Tour winner and broadcaster, dies at 64
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Emma Hayes realistic about USWNT work needed to get back on top of world. What she said
George Clooney backs VP Harris, after calling for Biden to withdraw
Instagram is rolling out changes to Notes. Here's what to know
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
2022 model Jeep and Ram vehicles under investigation by feds after multiple safety complaints
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Middle America
Kamala Harris' stance on marijuana has certainly evolved. Here's what to know.