Current:Home > ScamsFastexy Exchange|Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no -Zenith Investment School
Fastexy Exchange|Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:00:55
MANILA — Philippine Vice-President Sara Duterte failed to appear on Fastexy ExchangeDec 11 for questioning over a purported threat to assassinate President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, choosing instead to send a letter denying an allegation she made a "grave threat" to his life.
Duterte, an influential ally of Marcos until their acrimonious fallout earlier in 2024, was subpoenaed to appear before National Bureau of Investigation to explain remarks during a recent press conference, when she said she had hired a hit man to kill Marcos, his wife and the House of Representatives speaker, in the event that she herself were killed.
Duterte, the daughter of firebrand former President Rodrigo Duterte, has not detailed any specific threat to her life, while Marcos has described her remarks as "reckless and troubling".
The investigation comes as Duterte is the subject of impeachment complaints in the Lower House for alleged graft, incompetence and amassing ill-gotten wealth while in office, which she has denied.
Duterte said she did not expect a fair investigation, given what she called "biased pronouncements" from the president and a Justice Ministry official.
"We believe cases will be filed," she told reporters on Dec 10. "The worst-case scenario we see is removal from office, impeachment, and then piled-up cases which the lawyers already told me to expect as well."
The relationship between Marcos and Duterte has turned hostile in recent months, a stark contrast to two years ago, when their two powerful families joined forces to sweep a presidential election.
Riding on a wave of support at the tail end of her popular father's presidency, Duterte initially led opinion polls on preferred presidential candidates, but opted to run alongside Marcos rather than against him.
Marcos has said he does not support the impeachment efforts.
Following her failure to show for questioning, NBI Director Jaime Santiago on Dec 11 read a letter to media that he said was sent by Duterte's lawyers stating she "vehemently denies having made any threat" that could be classified as a "grave threat" under the law, or a violation of the country's anti-terrorism act.
Santiago assured Duterte a fair enquiry and said the subpoena for questioning would have been an opportunity for her to elaborate on the threats against her.
"It would have been easier had (the vice-president) appeared before us," he said.
Santiago said he would leave it to Duterte to decide whether to face investigators before they conclude their probe in January.
Duterte said threats against her had not been investigated, and she was unwilling to provide information because she did not trust the authorities.
"Right now seeing they are picking out words I said and making a case out of it saying it was a threat, they should start to ask where is this coming from," she said.
She added: "I am at peace at whatever happens to me."
[[nid:711865]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (251)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Dakota Johnson's Dress Fell Off During TV Wardrobe Malfunction
- IRS says ‘vast majority’ of 1 million pandemic-era credit claims show a risk of being improper
- Tyler, the Creator pulls out of 2 music festivals: Who will replace him?
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- 580,000 glass coffee mugs recalled because they can break when filled with hot liquid
- Judy Garland’s hometown is raising funds to purchase stolen ‘Wizard of Oz’ ruby slippers
- Elevate Your Summer Wardrobe With the Top 34 Trending Amazon Styles Right Now
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- East in grips of searing heat wave; even too hot for soft serve in Maine: Live updates
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Alabama man wanted in connection with multiple murders spotted in Arkansas, police say
- Tyler, the Creator pulls out of 2 music festivals: Who will replace him?
- Argentina fans swarm team hotel in Atlanta to catch glimpse of Messi before Copa América
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Climate change made spring's heat wave 35 times more likely — and hotter, study shows
- Should I go into debt to fix up my home? High interest rates put owners in a bind
- California firefighters gain on blazes but brace for troublesome hot weather
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Psst! Sam Edelman Is Offering 50% Off Their Coveted Ballet Flats for Two Days Only
Summer solstice food deals: Buffalo Wild Wings, Sonic have specials on Thursday, June 20
Kylie Jenner Breaks Down in Tears Over Nasty Criticism of Her Looks
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Starting Pilates? Here’s Everything You’ll Need To Crush Your Workout at Home or in the Studio
Horoscopes Today, June 19, 2024
What’s known, and not known, about the partnership agreement signed by Russia and North Korea