Current:Home > News'The Princess Diaries 3' prequel is coming, according to Anne Hathaway: 'MIracles happen' -Zenith Investment School
'The Princess Diaries 3' prequel is coming, according to Anne Hathaway: 'MIracles happen'
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 12:20:25
Anne Hathaway is making a royal return to Genovia as Princess Mia Thermopolis in "The Princess Diaries 3."
The Academy Award-winning actress confirmed that she would reprise her famous role in the prequel of the beloved film franchise in an Instagram post Friday.
"Miracles happen," she posted a video featuring a screenshot of a news article announcing the movie was in continued development, which was first reported by Variety. Hathaway counted down in the video, which included snippets from the first "Princess Diaries" and said her famous line from the movie, "Shut up!"
Variety, which shared that the film has been in development since 2022, announced that Adele Lim, who wrote "Crazy Rich Asians," was slated to direct the film with Hathaway set to star. The upcoming prequel is the third installment of the beloved series, following 2001’s "The Princess Diaries" and the 2004 sequel “The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement."
“As a diehard fan of the original ‘Princess Diaries,’ I’m beyond excited to be a part of bringing the third iteration of this beloved franchise to life,” Lim told Variety in a statement. “We look forward to celebrating its core tenants of female power, joy and mentorship with audiences worldwide.”
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
New movie:CGI babies? What we know about new 'Rugrats' movie adaptation
'Princess Diaries' was one of Hathaway's first roles
Hathaway, who is now 41, landed the role of Princess Mia when she was just 17.
In April, she told V Magazine that the "Princess Diaries 3" development was "in a good place,” adding at the time how “that’s all I can say. There’s nothing to announce yet. But we’re in a good place.”
She also told V that her "first substantial film role, the second film I ever did, was 'The Princess Diaries.' I was so generously invited into that process by Garry Marshall; he valued my take on being a teenage girl and elevated me to such a valued status on set that it never occurred to me on other sets that I didn’t have that same autonomy."
There's no word on if Julie Andrews, who portrayed Princess Mia's grandmother Queen Clarisse Renaldi, will return to the franchise. In December 2022, she told Kit Hoover of Access Hollywood she wasn't sure if it would be possible.
“I think we know that it’s probably not going to be possible,” Andrews said at the time. “It was talked about very shortly after two came out, but it’s now how many years since then? And I am that much older and Annie the princess, or queen, is so much older. And I am not sure where it would float or run.” Andrews added.
She continued: “In terms of us doing it, I very much doubt that now.”
veryGood! (98192)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Man arrested in Nebraska in alleged assault of former US Sen. Martha McSally
- Los Angeles to pay $8M to man who spent 12 years in prison for armed robberies he didn’t commit
- High-tech 3D image shows doomed WWII Japanese subs 2,600 feet underwater off Hawaii
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Baltimore police shooting prompts criticism of specialized gun squads
- Review: 'Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes' is the best 'Hunger Games' movie of them all
- Trailblazing computer scientist Fei-Fei Li on human-centered AI
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- It's time to get realistic about cleaning up piles of trash from the ocean, study argues
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- The 2024 Grammy Award nominations are about to arrive. Here’s what to know
- Biggest stars left off USMNT Nations League roster. Latest injury update for Pulisic, Weah
- UVM honors retired US Sen. Patrick Leahy with renamed building, new rural program
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Los Angeles to pay $8M to man who spent 12 years in prison for armed robberies he didn’t commit
- Black riverboat co-captain faces assault complaint filed by white boater in Alabama dock brawl
- Manny Machado digs in at groundbreaking for San Diego FC’s training complex and academy
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Hollywood’s labor stoppage is over, but a painful industry-wide transition isn’t
Andre Iguodala takes over as acting executive director of NBA players’ union
Israel says these photos show how Hamas places weapons in and near U.N. facilities in Gaza, including schools
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
I expected an active retirement, but my body had other plans. I'm learning to embrace it.
Liberation Pavilion seeks to serve as a reminder of the horrors of WWII and the Holocaust
Former Arizona senator reports being molested while running in Iowa