Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:600,000 Ram trucks to be recalled under settlement in emissions cheating scandal -Zenith Investment School
EchoSense:600,000 Ram trucks to be recalled under settlement in emissions cheating scandal
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 15:10:37
The EchoSenseDepartment of Justice released new details of a settlement with engine manufacturer Cummins Inc. Wednesday that includes a mandatory recall of 600,000 Ram trucks, and that Cummins remedy environmental damage it caused when it illegally installed emissions control software in several thousand vehicles, skirting emissions testing.
Cummins is accused of circumventing emissions testing through devices that can bypass or defeat emissions controls. The engine manufacturer will pay a $1.675 billion civil penalty to settle claims – previously announced in December and the largest ever secured under the Clean Air Act – in addition to $325 million on remedies.
That brings Cummins' total penalty for the violations to more than $2 billion, per Wednesday's announcement, which officials from the U.S. Justice Department, Environmental Protection Agency, California Air Resources Board and the California Attorney General called "landmark" in a call with reporters Wednesday.
"Let's this settlement be a lesson: We won't let greedy corporations cheat their way to success and run over the health and wellbeing of consumers and our environment along the way," California AG Rob Bonta said.
Over the course of a decade, hundreds of thousands of Ram 2500 and 3500 pickup trucks – manufactured by Stellantis – were equipped with Cummins diesel engines that incorporated the bypassing engine control software. This includes 630,000 installed with illegal defeat devices and 330,000 equipped with undisclosed auxiliary emission control devices.
Officials could not estimate how many of those vehicles are currently on the road, but Cummins – which has maintained it has not done any wrongdoing – must undergo a nationwide recall of more than 600,000 noncompliant Ram vehicles, in addition to recall efforts previously conducted.
Stellantis deferred comment on the case to engine maker Cummins, which said in a statement that Wednesday's actions do not involve any more financial commitments than those announced in December. "We are looking forward to obtaining certainty as we conclude this lengthy matter and continue to deliver on our mission of powering a more prosperous world," the statement said.
Cummins also said the engines that are not being recalled did not exceed emissions limits.
As part of the settlement, Cummins is also expected to back projects to remedy excess emissions that resulted from its actions.
Preliminary estimates suggested its emissions bypass produced "thousands of tons of excess emissions of nitrogen oxides," U.S. Attorney General Merrick B. Garland previously said in a prepared statement.
The Clean Air Act, a federal law enacted in 1963 to reduce and control air pollution across the nation, requires car and engine manufacturers to comply with emission limits to protect the environment and human health.
veryGood! (42)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Joe Biden's legacy after historic decision to give up 2024 reelection campaign
- Secret Service director steps down after assassination attempt against ex-President Trump at rally
- Kandi Burruss’ Must-Haves for Busy People Include These Hand Soap Sheets You Won’t Leave Home Without
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Team USA Basketball Showcase highlights: US squeaks past Germany in final exhibition game
- For Appalachian Artists, the Landscape Is Much More Than the Sum of Its Natural Resources
- 2 killed when small plane crashes after takeoff from Long Island airport
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Oscar Mayer Wienermobile flips onto its side after crash along suburban Chicago highway
Ranking
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- New Mexico village battered by wildfires in June now digging out from another round of flooding
- Missing Arizona woman and her alleged stalker found dead in car: 'He scared her'
- Darren Walker, president of Ford Foundation, will step down by the end of 2025
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Rachel Lindsay’s Ex Bryan Abasolo Details Their “Tough” Fertility Journey
- George Clooney backs VP Harris, after calling for Biden to withdraw
- Secret Service director steps down after assassination attempt against ex-President Trump at rally
Recommendation
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
Commission says New York judge should be removed over profane rant at graduation party
Where Ben Affleck Was While Jennifer Lopez Celebrated Her Birthday in the Hamptons
Will Sha'carri Richardson run in the Olympics? What to know about star at Paris Games
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Holding out for a hero? Here are the 50 best, from Deadpool to Han Solo
Children of Gaza
Billion-dollar Mitsubishi chemical plant economically questionable, energy group says