Current:Home > FinanceWatch Princess Kate's video statement revealing her cancer diagnosis -Zenith Investment School
Watch Princess Kate's video statement revealing her cancer diagnosis
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 05:14:39
Catherine, the Princess of Wales, revealed in a video statement Friday she has been diagnosed with cancer, calling the news a "huge shock." In the message, which you can watch above, Kate said the unspecified type of cancer was detected after she underwent major abdominal surgery in January and she is currently undergoing chemotherapy.
Kate said that after the surgery in London, doctors thought her condition was non-cancerous and the operation was a success, but ensuing tests showed that cancer was present.
"My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment," she said.
In the video message recorded on Wednesday and broadcast Friday, Kate asked for "time, space and privacy" while she recovers.
"This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family," Kate said in the video message. "As you can imagine, this has taken time. It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment. But, most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be ok."
Sitting on a garden bench and wearing a striped sweater, Kate said that she is "getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal; in my mind, body and spirits." She added that she her husband, Prince William, had been comforting her.
"Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too. As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both."
Kate's video message comes after growing public speculation over her health, fueled in part by at least two doctored images that were released in recent days. Kate, 42, hadn't been seen publicly since Christmas until a short video surfaced this week of her and William walking outside a farm shop.
Kate said in the video released Friday that she would focus on making a full recovery.
"My work has always brought me a deep sense of joy and I look forward to being back when I am able, but for now I must focus on making a full recovery. At this time, I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For everyone facing this disease, in whatever form, please do not lose faith or hope. You are not alone."
Kensington Palace said the video message was filmed by BBC Studios in Windsor on Wednesday. Following its release, King Charles, British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and others shared messages of support wishing Kate well and praising her courage.
- In:
- British Royal Family
- Kate Middleton
Stephen Smith is a senior editor for CBSNews.com.
veryGood! (8289)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- How Tom Brady Honored Exes Gisele Bündchen and Bridget Moynahan on Mother's Day 2023
- Myrlie Evers opens up about her marriage to civil rights icon Medgar Evers. After his murder, she took up his fight.
- UN watchdog says landmines are placed around Ukrainian nuke plant occupied by Russia
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Natalee Holloway Disappearance Case: Suspect Joran van der Sloot to Be Extradited to the U.S.
- Climate Costs Rise as Amazon, Retailers Compete on Fast Delivery
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, June 11, 2023
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Don't think of Africa as a hungry child, says a champion of Africa's food prowess
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- EU Unveils ‘Green Deal’ Plan to Get Europe Carbon Neutral by 2050
- The Dakota Access Pipeline Fight: Where Does the Standoff Stand?
- How Medicare Advantage plans dodged auditors and overcharged taxpayers by millions
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Today’s Climate: September 14, 2010
- Today’s Climate: September 16, 2010
- Michigan 2-year-old dies in accidental shooting at home
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
You can order free COVID tests again by mail
China to drop travel tracing as it relaxes 'zero-COVID'
You Know That Gut Feeling You Have?...
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
Apple iPad Flash Deal: Save $258 on a Product Bundle With Accessories
Dangers Without Borders: Military Readiness in a Warming World
For 'time cells' in the brain, what matters is what happens in the moment