Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Another ex-player is alleging Blackhawks’ former video coach sexually assaulted him in 2009-10 -Zenith Investment School
Will Sage Astor-Another ex-player is alleging Blackhawks’ former video coach sexually assaulted him in 2009-10
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:53:21
CHICAGO (AP) — A former hockey player in the Chicago Blackhawks organization has alleged in a lawsuit the team’s former video coach sexually assaulted him during the 2009-10 season and Will Sage Astorthe Blackhawks responded inadequately to his complaint because it didn’t want a disruption during its Stanley Cup run.
The Chicago Tribune reported Sunday the law firm of Romanucci & Blandin filed the lawsuit Thursday on behalf of their client, listed as “John Doe,” in Cook County Circuit Court. The Associated Press was unable to reach a representative from the law firm.
The newspaper reported the plaintiff was a member of the Blackhawks’ “Black Aces” squad, which was made up of minor-league players who traveled with the NHL team during the playoffs to fill in in case of injuries.
One of the player’s “Black Aces” teammates was Kyle Beach, who reached a settlement with the Blackhawks in December 2021 after alleging he was sexually assaulted by then-video coach Brad Aldrich.
The lawsuit filed last week raises similar allegations against Aldrich and said the Blackhawks showed “utter indifference and/or conscious disregard for the safety of its employees, including John Doe.”
The Blackhawks, in a statement to the Tribune, declined to comment on the specifics of the latest lawsuit. They said they take allegations of workplace misconduct seriously and noted that two years ago they initiated an independent investigation into the events of 2010.
“We’ve changed as a result of what happened and implemented numerous positive improvements throughout our organization to ensure the safety and well-being of our players and employees,” the team said. “This includes completely rebuilding the leadership team with personnel who demonstrate our values and bring the right subject matter expertise in the critical areas of compliance and human resources, an expansive mental health program, and new reporting mechanisms and training for all employees.”
Attorney Antonio Romanucci told the Tribune that the lawsuits seeks to ensure teams remain accountable.
“We have a specific mission in mind, certainly that the Blackhawks remain accountable for the changes that they have promised that they have put in place with regard to prevention of these sexual abuses,” he said. “But we also want to make sure that all teams around the country are on notice that this is not acceptable behavior. Putting winning before the mental health or even physical health of players, that’s over. Hard stop.”
The lawsuit filed last week alleges Aldrich invited “Black Aces” players to his home under the guise of discussing hockey strategy but later attempted to make players watch pornographic movies with him. Aldrich is accused of offering to perform oral sex on “John Doe” and of approaching him from behind and pushing his penis against the back and buttocks of “Doe” through his clothes.
Aldrich allegedly used threats to dissuade the player from reporting Aldrich’s alleged conduct.
Aldrich in December 2013 pleaded guilty to fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct in a case involving a 16-year-old high school hockey player in Michigan. Prosecutors dropped a felony count. Aldrich was released from jail in 2014.
___
AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/nhl
veryGood! (4142)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Taylor Lautner reflects on 'Twilight' rivalry with Robert Pattinson: 'It was tough'
- Where to watch 'Frosty the Snowman' before Christmas: TV, streaming options in 2023
- Fentanyl-tainted gummy bears sicken 5 kids at Virginia school; couple charged in case.
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- 1 in 5 seniors still work — and they're happier than younger workers
- How Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick's Kids Mason and Reign Are Celebrating Their Birthday
- 'Thanks for the memories': E3 convention canceled after 25 years of gaming
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- The Sweet Way Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker Are Incorporating Son Rocky Into Holiday Traditions
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Why Drake and Camila Cabello Are Sparking Romance Rumors
- Pennsylvania passes laws to overhaul probation system, allow courts to seal more criminal records
- Officer shoots, kills 2 dogs attacking man at Ohio golf course, man also shot: Police
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- You'll Royally Obsess Over These 18 Gifts for Fans of The Crown
- The Vatican’s ‘trial of the century,’ a Pandora’s box of unintended revelations, explained
- Prosecutors say NYC courthouse fire suspect burned papers with complaints about criminal justice
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Charles McGonigal, ex-FBI official, sentenced to 50 months for working with Russian oligarch
Trevor Noah returns to host 2024 Grammy Awards for 4th year in a row
Amazon, Target and more will stop selling water beads marketed to kids due to rising safety concerns
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Andre Braugher died of lung cancer, publicist says
NFL standout is a part-time 'gifted musician': How Eagles' Jordan Mailata honed his voice
College football bowl game rankings: The 41 postseason matchups from best to worst