Current:Home > reviews2030 World Cup set to be hosted by Spain-Portugal-Morocco with 3 South American countries added -Zenith Investment School
2030 World Cup set to be hosted by Spain-Portugal-Morocco with 3 South American countries added
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 12:08:19
GENEVA (AP) — A unique 2030 World Cup is set to be played in Europe and Africa with the surprising addition of South America in a deal to allow the men’s soccer tournament to start with a 100th birthday party in Uruguay.
FIFA reached an agreement Wednesday between soccer’s continental leaders to accept only one candidate for hosting the 2030 tournament, the sport’s governing body said.
The Spain-Portugal bid grew to add Morocco this year and now also includes long-time bid rivals Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.
A key lure of the unprecedented three-continent project is being able to open in the Uruguayan capital of Montevideo, where the Centenario Stadium hosted the inaugural 1930 World Cup final.
“The centennial World Cup could not be far from South America, where everything began,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of South American soccer body CONMEBOL. “The 2030 World Cup will be played in three continents.”
The consensus reached by once-rival soccer continents also let FIFA fast-track the opening of the 2034 World Cup bidding contest, limited to member federations from Asia and Oceania.
Saudi Arabia has targeted the 2034 edition and Australia also is interested after successfully co-hosting the Women’s World Cup this year with New Zealand. Either way, the 2034 tournament will almost certainly played in November and December — like last year’s World Cup in Qatar.
The FIFA Council’s acceptance of a unified 2030 candidacy still needs formal approval next year at a meeting of the 211 member federations. That should be just a formality.
“In 2030, we will have a unique global footprint, three continents — Africa, Europe and South America — six countries — Argentina, Morocco, Paraguay, Portugal, Spain and Uruguay — welcoming and uniting the world while celebrating together the beautiful game, the centenary and the FIFA World Cup,” FIFA president Gianni Infantino said in a statement.
The 48-team, 104-game tournament scheduled for June-July 2030 is planned to start with games in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay before the action moves to the core host nations Spain, Portugal and Morocco. It involves an unprecedented amount of travel across distances and time zones.
The South American co-host bid has been promoted since the 2018 World Cup in Russia and had included Chile, which was not mentioned Wednesday.
Ukraine was also dropped after it was added to the European bid a year ago at a news conference at UEFA headquarters in Switzerland. However, Ukraine not been mentioned in official comments about the UEFA-backed bid this year.
The first 48-team men’s World Cup will be hosted in 2026 by the United States, Canada and Mexico.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (2)
Related
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- LeBron James Supports Son Bronny at USC Basketball Debut After Health Scare
- Bronny James makes college debut for USC nearly 5 months after cardiac arrest
- Biden invites Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy to meet with him at the White House
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Micah Parsons listed on Cowboys' injury report with illness ahead of Eagles game
- Despite deflating OT loss, Rams don't hear death knell for playoff hopes
- Rare Raymond Chandler poem is a tribute to his late wife, with a surprising twist
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Horoscopes Today, December 10, 2023
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Elon Musk allows controversial conspiracy theorist Alex Jones back on X
- At COP28, Indigenous women have a message for leaders: Look at what we’re doing. And listen
- Negotiators, activists and officials ramp up the urgency as climate talks enter final days
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Trump says he won’t testify again at his New York fraud trial. He says he has nothing more to say
- 2 people have been killed in a shooting in the southern Swiss town of Sion
- 'Tragic': Catholic priest died after attack in church rectory in Nebraska
Recommendation
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
Some nations want to remove more pollution than they produce. That will take giving nature a boost
Japanese anime film 'The Boy and the Heron' debuts at No. 1, dethrones 'Renaissance'
Betelgeuse, one of the brightest stars in the sky, will vanish in a one-of-a-kind eclipse soon. Here's how to watch it.
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Most Americans disapprove of Biden's handling of Israel-Hamas war — CBS News poll
Pressure mounts on Hungary to unblock EU membership talks and funds for Ukraine
Gluten is a buzzy protein. Here’s when you need to cut it from your diet.