Current:Home > NewsNorwegian mass killer attempts to sue the state once more for an alleged breach of human rights -Zenith Investment School
Norwegian mass killer attempts to sue the state once more for an alleged breach of human rights
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:26:45
STAVANGER, Norway (AP) — Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian right-wing extremist who killed 77 people in a bomb and gun rampage in 2011, will try for the second time Monday to sue the Norwegian state for allegedly breaching his human rights.
Norway’s worst peacetime killer claims his solitary confinement since being imprisoned in 2012 amounts to inhumane treatment under the European Convention of Human Rights.
Norway favors rehabilitation over retribution, and Breivik is held in a two-story complex with a kitchen, dining room and TV room with an Xbox, several armchairs and black and white pictures of the Eiffel Tower on the wall. He also has a fitness room with weights, treadmill and a rowing machine, while three parakeets fly around the complex.
Even so, his lawyer, Øystein Storrvik, says it is impossible for Breivik, who now goes by the name Fjotolf Hansen, to have any meaningful relationships with anyone from the outside world, and says preventing his client from sending letters is another breach of his human rights.
A similar claim during a case in 2016 was accepted, but later overturned in a higher court. It was then rejected in the European Court of Human Rights. Breivik sought parole in 2022, but was judged to have shown no signs of rehabilitation.
On July 22, 2011, Breivik killed eight people in a bomb attack in Oslo before heading to a youth camp for a center-left political group on Utøya island, where, dressed as a police officer, he stalked and gunned down 69 people, mostly teenagers. The following year, Breivik was handed the maximum 21-year sentence with a clause — rarely used in the Norwegian justice system — that he can be held indefinitely if he is still considered a danger to society.
He has shown no remorse for his attacks, which he portrayed as a crusade against multiculturalism in Norway.
Many regard Breivik’s flirtations with the civil and parole courts as attempts to draw attention to his cause or even bask once again in the international limelight, as he had done at times during his criminal trial. Lisbeth Kristine Røyneland, who leads a support group for survivors of the attacks and bereaved families, says her group is “satisfied with the decision” not to allow a livestream of his comments from this court case.
The state rejects Breivik’s claims. In a letter to the court, Andreas Hjetland, a government attorney, wrote that Breivik had so far shown himself to be unreceptive to rehabilitative work and it was “therefore difficult to imagine which major reliefs in terms of sentencing are possible and justifiable.”
The trial will be held Monday in the gymnasium in Ringerike prison, a stone’s throw from Utøya.
veryGood! (63796)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Cheers Your Cosmos to the Most Fabulous Sex and the City Gift Guide
- During February’s Freeze in Texas, Refineries and Petrochemical Plants Released Almost 4 Million Pounds of Extra Pollutants
- She left her 2007 iPhone in its box for over a decade. It just sold for $63K
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Is the economy headed for recession or a soft landing?
- Twitter will limit uses of SMS 2-factor authentication. What does this mean for users?
- Tina Turner's Son Ike Jr. Arrested on Charges of Crack Cocaine Possession
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- What we know about Rex Heuermann, suspect in Gilgo Beach murders that shook Long Island more than a decade ago
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- In a Stark Letter, and In Person, Researchers Urge World Leaders at COP26 to Finally Act on Science
- Incursions Into Indigenous Lands Not Only Threaten Tribal Food Systems, But the Planet’s Well-Being
- Missing Titanic Submersible: Former Passenger Details What Really Happens During Expedition
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Recession, retail, retaliation
- Woman charged with selling fentanyl-laced pills to Robert De Niro's grandson
- Save 56% on an HP Laptop and Get 1 Year of Microsoft Office and Wireless Mouse for Free
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Inside Clean Energy: Four Charts Tell the Story of the Post-Covid Energy Transition
New York and New England Need More Clean Energy. Is Hydropower From Canada the Best Way to Get it?
Coal Phase-Down Has Lowered, Not Eliminated Health Risks From Building Energy, Study Says
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
In a New Policy Statement, the Nation’s Physicists Toughen Their Stance on Climate Change, Stressing Its Reality and Urgency
Why Kelly Clarkson Is “Hesitant” to Date After Brandon Blackstock Divorce
Coal Phase-Down Has Lowered, Not Eliminated Health Risks From Building Energy, Study Says
Tags
Like
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Warming Trends: The BBC Introduces ‘Life at 50 Degrees,’ Helping African Farmers Resist Drought and Driftwood Provides Clues to Climate’s Past
- Twitter will limit uses of SMS 2-factor authentication. What does this mean for users?