Current:Home > FinanceFlorida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult -Zenith Investment School
Florida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:19:59
The 17-year-old suspect in a shooting last week that killed two people and injured eight during Halloween celebrations in downtown Orlando, Florida, has been charged as an adult, authorities said.
Jaylen Dwayne Edgar was charged as an adult with two counts of second-degree murder with a firearm and one count of attempted murder with a firearm, State Attorney Andrew Bain said Monday. The case will be presented to a grand jury, which could decide to elevate the charges to first-degree murder, Bain said.
Edgar will face additional charges as the investigation continues, authorities said.
"This decision was not made lightly and only after a review of all available evidence," Bain said in a statement Monday. "I have personally reviewed all available records and video evidence in this case and there is no question this individual should be charged as an adult."
The Orlando Police Department estimated about 75,000 people were gathered in downtown Orlando to celebrate Halloween last week when gunfire broke out overnight. Early Friday, two people were killed and seven were wounded by gunfire, authorities said.
Another person was hospitalized after being trampled on while trying to run to safety, Bain said. The victims were ages 19 to 39, according to Orlando Police Chief Eric Smith.
Bain said responding police officers immediately identified Edgar as the gunman and "took him into custody moments after the shooting." Prosecutors were working with the Orlando Police Department and have asked the public to submit any videos or pictures from the night of the shooting.
"To shoot into a massive crowd like that shows a total disregard for life and the only recourse is to charge the defendant as an adult because it fits the egregious nature of the crime," Bain said in the statement.
'Troubling trends':Guns remain leading cause of death for children and teens in the US, report says
What happened in the downtown Orlando shooting?
According to Smith, officers responded to shots fired around 1 a.m. Friday in the area of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue before police witnessed a second shooting about a block away,
A total of nine people were hit by gunfire, in which two were pronounced dead, according to police. The six victims who were wounded were taken to the Orlando Regional Medical Center and were in stable condition, Smith said.
Another person who suffered a gunshot wound took herself to a local hospital, police said.
Police released surveillance and body-camera footage showing a crowd of thousands of people in the streets when the suspect opened fire, causing chaos as people fled. Within seconds, at least eight officers surrounded the person who was shot.
A few minutes later, footage captured the suspect rushing through the crowd before additional shots were fired. Officers apprehended the suspect when he tried to leave the scene.
Authorities said the shooting occurred on one of the city's busiest nights of the year as tens of thousands of people gathered to celebrate Halloween. About 100 officers were in the area at the time to provide security, Smith said.
The incident was the latest mass shooting in the United States. At least 445 mass shootings have occurred this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit organization that defines mass shootings as incidents involving four or more victims.
Contributing: Gabe Hauari and Christopher Cann, USA TODAY; C.A. Bridges, USA TODAY NETWORK - Florida
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- 14-year-old boy dead, 6 wounded in mass shooting at July Fourth block party in Maryland
- Natalee Holloway Suspect Joran Van Der Sloot Pleads Not Guilty in U.S. Fraud Case
- Hurricane Irma’s Overlooked Victims: Migrant Farm Workers Living at the Edge
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Trump’s Power Plant Plan Can’t Save Coal from Market Forces
- In Georgia, Buffeted by Hurricanes and Drought, Climate Change Is on the Ballot
- Pink’s Daughter Willow Singing With Her Onstage Is True Love
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Solar Energy Largely Unscathed by Hurricane Florence’s Wind and Rain
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Proof Tom Holland Is Marveling Over Photos of Girlfriend Zendaya Online
- Joey Chestnut remains hot dog eating champ. Here's how many calories he consumed during the event.
- Plan to Burn Hurricane Debris Sparks Health Fears in U.S. Virgin Islands
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Oil Investors Call for Human Rights Risk Report After Standing Rock
- Jon Gosselin Addresses 9-Year Estrangement From Kids Mady and Cara
- 1.5 Degrees Warming and the Search for Climate Justice for the Poor
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Climate Change Will Hit Southern Poor Hardest, U.S. Economic Analysis Shows
Firework injuries send people to hospitals across U.S. as authorities issue warnings
Orlando officer fatally shoots man who made quick movement during traffic stop
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
These 15 Secrets About A Walk to Remember Are Your Only Hope
Baby girl among 4 found dead by Texas authorities in Rio Grande river on U.S.-Mexico border in just 48 hours
Amy Schumer Reveals the Real Reason She Dropped Out of Barbie Movie