Current:Home > StocksRekubit-Man charged with attacking police in Times Square, vilified in Trump ad, was misidentified, DA says -Zenith Investment School
Rekubit-Man charged with attacking police in Times Square, vilified in Trump ad, was misidentified, DA says
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:26:39
NEW YORK (AP) — A Venezuelan man who became the subject of national attention for allegedly kicking a police officer in Times Square,Rekubit then flipping off news cameras on his way out of court, was cleared of wrongdoing on Friday after prosecutors concluded he played no role in the attack.
The stunning exoneration by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg came weeks after Jhoan Boada, 22, was widely vilified as the “smug” face of a Jan. 27th brawl between migrants and New York City police officers that touched off widespread political furor.
He featured prominently in a pro-Trump political ad titled “Joe Biden’s middle finger,” which ended on a freeze frame of Boada making the gesture while leaving his initial arraignment.
In a Manhattan courtroom Friday, prosecutors told a judge that further investigation proved Boada did not participate in the attack. The man seen in the video kicking an officer with pink shoes – initially identified by police as Boada – is now believed to be a separate person. That man has been charged and is awaiting criminal arraignment.
An attorney for Boada, Javier Damien, said his client was the victim of a “rush to judgment” by media, police, and elected officials. “It was a political football, and people were attacked with a broad brush,” he said. “It’s very sad.”
Boada, who lives in the city’s homeless shelter, had maintained his innocence from the start. During his arraignment on Jan. 31, his attorney told the judge that Boada had requested the surveillance footage of the incident be shared widely because “everybody who watches the videotape will not see him on there.”
Prosecutors agreed to release him without bail, noting that he did not have a criminal history and that they were still working “to conduct a thorough analysis of the incident and the defendant’s role in it,” according to a transcript of the proceeding.
At the time, news of Boada’s release drew fiery responses from conservative media and the city’s police officials. In an interview on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” NYPD Chief of Patrol John Chell suggested that Boada and others had fled the city on a bus – an allegation that was later contradicted by officials.
“To add insult to injury to all of us, and we’re very benevolent people in New York City, to give us literally the finger on the way out the door,” Chell continued. “This is a host of issues that we have to talk about, and it stops right here.”
New York Gov. Kathy Hochul, a Democrat, also lashed out at prosecutors’ decision not to seek bail, adding that all those involved in the assault should be deported.
In the weeks after the brawl, the Manhattan district attorney acknowledged that some of the people initially accused of kicking police were found to have played a less significant role in the melee than previously thought.
“We have to ensure we identify and charge those individuals who actually committed criminal acts in this matter,” Bragg said. “The only thing worse than failing to bring perpetrators to justice would be to ensnare innocent people in the criminal justice system.”
The assault charges against a 21-year-old were downgraded to evidence tampering after prosecutors determined that he had not touched police officers, but he had traded his jacket with one of the men who fled the confrontation.
A 19-year-old widely reported to have attacked officers also did not physically touch the officers, but allegedly kicked a police radio. Prosecutors also dropped assault charges against a 21-year-old for a lack of evidence tying him to the brawl.
Damien, the attorney for Boada, said his client was confused when police arrested him on assault charges two days after the incident, but he struggled to defend himself in English.
“He was trying to explain to the cop that he wasn’t there,” the attorney said. “But they wouldn’t listen to him.”
veryGood! (45)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 'Yellowstone' premiere: Record ratings, Rip's ride and Billy Klapper's tribute
- FC Cincinnati player Marco Angulo dies at 22 after injuries from October crash
- Why Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams May Be Rejoining the George R.R. Martin Universe
- Small twin
- US inflation may have picked up in October after months of easing
- Why Kathy Bates Decided Against Reconstruction Surgery After Double Mastectomy for Breast Cancer
- Five best fits for Alex Bregman: Will Astros homegrown star leave as free agent?
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- NCT DREAM enters the 'DREAMSCAPE': Members on new album, its concept and songwriting
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- After entire police force resigns in small Oklahoma town, chief blames leaders, budget cuts
- Tom Brady Shares How He's Preparing for Son Jack to Be a Stud
- Rare Alo Yoga Flash Sale: Don’t Miss 60% Off Deals With Styles as Low as $5
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Chris Evans Shares Thoughts on Starting a Family With Wife Alba Baptista
- As CFP rankings punish SEC teams, do we smell bias against this proud and mighty league?
- NCT DREAM enters the 'DREAMSCAPE': Members on new album, its concept and songwriting
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Opinion: Chris Wallace leaves CNN to go 'where the action' is. Why it matters
Ariana Grande's Brunette Hair Transformation Is a Callback to Her Roots
Caitlin Clark has one goal for her LPGA pro-am debut: Don't hit anyone with a golf ball
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Moana 2 Star Dwayne Johnson Shares the Empowering Message Film Sends to Young Girls
Bev Priestman fired as Canada women’s soccer coach after review of Olympic drone scandal
MLS Star Marco Angulo Dead at 22 One Month After Car Crash