Current:Home > FinanceNew Hampshire class action approved for foster teens with mental health disabilities -Zenith Investment School
New Hampshire class action approved for foster teens with mental health disabilities
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 11:45:47
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A federal judge has approved class-action status for a lawsuit challenging the placement of teens with mental health disabilities in New Hampshire’s foster care system.
The lawsuit was filed against the state in 2021 and it has been amended since then. It says New Hampshire has “unnecessarily warehoused” foster care teens in institutional and group home care settings instead of with families, against their best interests. The state requested a dismissal, saying the plaintiffs did not prove their case.
Efforts at mediation failed earlier this year.
U.S. District Judge Paul Barbadaro’s ruling Wednesday applies to children ages 14 through 17 who are or will be under supervision of the state Division for Children, Youth and Families, have a mental impairment and are at serious risk of being unnecessarily placed in a group care setting. The ruling says fewer than 200 teens could be affected.
The original plaintiffs have since aged out of custody, and Barbadaro, in Concord, dismissed their claims.
He allowed one to proceed involving a 15-year-old in a group home who alleges disability discrimination and case planning neglect. Lawyers for the state argued that neither claim is appropriate for a class-action resolution.
Barbadro noted since the lawsuit was first filed, the defendants “have undertaken laudable efforts to address many of the concerns raised in the complaint. But there is no evidence that the defendants have abated or modified the common practices identified in this order.”
The lawsuit was filed against Gov. Chris Sununu and heads of the Health Department, Division for Children, Youth, and Families; Medicaid services; and the administrative office of the courts.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Trump's 'stop
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test