Current:Home > reviewsDisney says in lawsuit that DeSantis-appointed government is failing to release public records -Zenith Investment School
Disney says in lawsuit that DeSantis-appointed government is failing to release public records
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 05:26:39
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Disney has filed a lawsuit claiming that the oversight government for Walt Disney World, which was taken over by appointees of Gov. Ron DeSantis earlier this year, has failed to release documents and properly preserve records in violation of Florida public records law.
Disney said in the lawsuit filed Friday that the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District, often referred to as CFTOD, has been so slow in fulfilling its public records duties that it has failed to respond completely to a request the company made seven months ago when it paid more than $2,400 to get emails and text messages belonging to the five district board members appointed by DeSantis.
Disney, DeSantis and the DeSantis appointees already are battling for control of the government in two pending lawsuits in federal and state court.
The public records lawsuit is asking a judge to review any documents that the district claims are exempt from being released, declare that the district is violating state public records law and order the district to release the documents that Disney has requested.
“CFTOD has prevented Disney from discovering the actions of its government through public records requests, in violation of Florida law,” said the lawsuit filed in state court in Orlando. “The Court should grant Disney relief.”
An email was sent to the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District seeking comment.
The new lawsuit claims that the district is failing to follow public records laws in other ways, such as allowing the DeSantis-appointed board members to use personal email addresses and texts for district business without a process for making sure they are preserved and failing to make sure board members don’t auto-delete messages dealing with district business.
The feud between DeSantis and Disney started last year after the company publicly opposed the state’s so-called don’t say gay law, which bans classroom lessons on sexual orientation and gender identity in early grades. The law was championed by DeSantis, who is running for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination. In retaliation, DeSantis and Republican legislators took over the district Disney had controlled for more than five decades and installed five board members loyal to the governor.
Around 50 out of about 370 employees have left the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District since it was taken over in February, raising concerns that decades of institutional knowledge are departing with them, along with a reputation for a well-run government.
___
Follow Mike Schneider on X, formerly known as Twitter: @MikeSchneiderAP.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Florida school district must restore books with LGBTQ+ content under settlement
- A strike would add to turbulent times at Boeing
- Consumers are expected to spend more this holiday season
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- AP Week in Pictures: Global
- Tua Tagovailoa is dealing with another concussion. What we know and what happens next
- Colorado mayor, police respond to Trump's claims that Venezuelan gang is 'taking over'
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Alaska high court lets man serving a 20-year sentence remain in US House race
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- De'Von Achane injury updates: Latest on Dolphins RB's status for Thursday's game vs. Bills
- Lake Powell Plumbing Will Be Repaired, but Some Say Glen Canyon Dam Needs a Long-Term Fix
- 'Focus on football'? Deshaun Watson, Browns condescend once again after lawsuit
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Nicole Kidman Speaks Out After Death of Her Mom Janelle Kidman
- 2nd Circuit rejects Donald Trump’s request to halt postconviction proceedings in hush money case
- Colorado teen hoping for lakeside homecoming photos shot in face by town councilman, police say
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
It took 50,000 gallons of water to put out Tesla Semi fire in California, US agency says
New York governor says she has skin cancer and will undergo removal procedure
Meadow Walker Shares Gratitude for Late Dad Paul Walker in Heartbreaking Birthday Message
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
3-year-old dies after falling into neighbor's septic tank in Washington state
Will Ferrell reflects on dressing in drag on 'SNL': 'Something I wouldn't choose to do now'
The 17 Best Holiday Beauty Advent Calendars 2024: Charlotte Tilbury, Anthropologie, Lookfantastic & More