Current:Home > StocksPrince William speaks out after King Charles' cancer diagnosis and wife Kate's surgery -Zenith Investment School
Prince William speaks out after King Charles' cancer diagnosis and wife Kate's surgery
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 11:32:43
London — Prince William returned to public royal duties Wednesday after taking about three weeks off while his wife Kate, the Princess of Wales, recovered from abdominal surgery. During that period, his father, King Charles III, was diagnosed with cancer and Buckingham Palace said the monarch would step back from his own public duties during treatment.
William attended an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle early Wednesday before attending a gala dinner for London's Air Ambulance Charity, at which he shared the limelight with actor Tom Cruise.
"I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you for the kind messages of support for Catherine and for my father, especially in recent days," William said at the charity gala.
"It's fair to say the past few weeks have had a rather medical focus, so I thought I'd come to an air ambulance function to get away from it all," joked the prince.
William stepped away from public duties last month to help care for Kate and their three children after her unspecified abdominal surgery. Kate isn't expected to resume her public duties until around April.
Charles' cancer diagnosis was announced Monday by Buckingham Palace, which said it was discovered during separate treatment for an enlarged prostate. Royal sources said the king does not have prostate cancer, but the palace has not given any further information about what form of cancer he does have, or what type of treatments he is undergoing.
"His absence is putting a lot of pressure on the other members of the royal family, who are certainly up to it," Sally Bedell Smith, author of Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life, told The Associated Press. "Having one of the great stars of the royal family, the Princess of Wales, in recuperation from a surgery" adds to that pressure, Smith said.
The working members of the royal family attend hundreds of events every year to mark national, regional and local occasions and to recognize members of the public.
The palace said Charles would continue with his non-public facing work, such as signing and reviewing papers, as he undergoes treatment. His in-person meetings with the British prime minister are expected to resume later in February, according to the AP.
- In:
- King Charles III
- British Royal Family
- William Prince of Wales
- Prince William Duke of Cambridge
- Catherine Princess of Wales
Haley Ott is cbsnews.com's foreign reporter, based in the CBS News London bureau. Haley joined the cbsnews.com team in 2018, prior to which she worked for outlets including Al Jazeera, Monocle, and Vice News.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (96422)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Jordan Chiles Reveals She Still Has Bronze Medal in Emotional Update After 2024 Olympics Controversy
- 'I was in total shock': Woman wins $1 million after forgetting lotto ticket in her purse
- Who's hosting 'SNL' tonight? Musical guest, start time, where to watch Nov. 9 episode
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- 'I was in total shock': Woman wins $1 million after forgetting lotto ticket in her purse
- Atmospheric river to bring heavy snow, rain to Northwest this week
- What to know about Mississippi Valley State football player Ryan Quinney, who died Friday
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Dwayne Johnson Admits to Peeing in Bottles on Set After Behavior Controversy
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Wicked Director Jon M. Chu Reveals Name of Baby Daughter After Missing Film's LA Premiere for Her Birth
- Michael Jordan and driver Tyler Reddick come up short in bid for NASCAR championship
- Singles' Day vs. Black Friday: Which Has the Best Deals for Smart Shoppers?
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- A crowd of strangers brought 613 cakes and then set out to eat them
- Chiefs block last-second field goal to save unbeaten record, beat Broncos
- 'Climate change is real': New York parks employee killed as historic drought fuels blazes
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
'Joker 2' actor pans DC sequel as the 'worst film' ever: 'It has no plot'
Will Trump curb transgender rights? After election, community prepares for worst
World War II veteran reflects on life as he turns 100
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Trump's election has women swearing off sex with men. It's called the 4B movement.
The charming Russian scene-stealers of 'Anora' are also real-life best friends
Brush fire erupts in Brooklyn's iconic Prospect Park amid prolonged drought