Current:Home > StocksTrump rules out another debate against Harris as her campaign announces $47M haul in hours afterward -Zenith Investment School
Trump rules out another debate against Harris as her campaign announces $47M haul in hours afterward
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:19:49
Donald Trump on Thursday ruled out another presidential debate against Kamala Harris as her campaign announced a massive fundraising haul in the hours after the two candidates met on stage.
Trump, the Republican nominee, posted on Truth Social that “THERE WILL BE NO THIRD DEBATE!” following Tuesday’s debate against Harris and his June debate against President Joe Biden. In rejecting another debate, the former president suggested that a “prizefighter” who loses a bout is always the one to call for a rematch.
A day earlier, he had said, “I just don’t know,” to the question of whether he would meet Harris for another debate. Some Republicans, including the No. 2 GOP Senator John Thune, have urged Trump to debate against Harris again.
While he could still change his mind, his announcement means that Tuesday’s meeting will likely be the only time voters will see the two debate each other before the November election. More than 67 million people watched the Trump-Harris debate.
Harris, the Democratic nominee, said during a rally in North Carolina on Thursday she believes that she and the former president “owe it to voters” to debate again. Meanwhile, her campaign revealed that it had raised $47 million from nearly 600,000 donors in the 24 hours after her Tuesday debate against Trump.
“This historic, 24-hour haul reflects a strong and growing coalition of Americans united behind Vice President Harris’ candidacy that knows the stakes this November, and are doing their part to defeat Donald Trump this November,” campaign chair Jen O’Malley Dillon said.
The Tuesday debate was the first time that Trump and Harris had met, and the vice president largely controlled the tenor, goading Trump into agitated responses that contained exaggerations and mistruths. It came two months after Trump’s debate against Biden, whose unsteady performance and meandering answers led him to end his reelection bid and endorse Harris as his replacement on the ticket.
Trump raised doubts earlier in the campaign as to whether he would debate Harris at all. The two eventually agreed on the Tuesday debate on ABC.
Trump called Harris a “no-show” for a debate date that had been proposed earlier this month. Instead of an event with Harris, Trump ended up going on Fox News for a solo town hall with host Sean Hannity.
Fox News has issued invitations to both campaigns for a debate in October.
___
Associated Press writer Zeke Miller in Washington contributed to this report.
veryGood! (89733)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- West Virginia woman charged after daughter leaves home in handcuffs and seeks neighbor’s help
- Erik Menendez and Lyle Menendez Tell Their Side of the Story in Netflix Documentary Trailer
- Several states are making late changes to election rules, even as voting is set to begin
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Kentucky judge allegedly killed by sheriff remembered for public service as residents seek answers
- Mark Robinson vows to rebuild his staff for North Carolina governor as Republican group backs away
- Boyd Gaming buys Resorts Digital online gambling operation
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- New Lululemon We Made Too Much Drop Has Arrived—Score $49 Align Leggings, $29 Bodysuits & More Under $99
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- You can't control how Social Security is calculated, but you can boost your benefits
- Family of Missouri woman murdered in home 'exasperated' as execution approaches
- Former NL batting champion Charlie Blackmon retiring after 14 seasons with Rockies
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Review: Zachary Quinto medical drama 'Brilliant Minds' is just mind-numbing
- NFL Week 3 winners, losers: Texans, 49ers dealt sizable setbacks
- Why playing it too safe with retirement savings could be a mistake
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Reggie Bush sues USC, Pac-12 and NCAA to seek NIL compensation from football career 2 decades ago
What time is 'The Voice' on? Season 26 premiere date, time, coaches, where to watch and stream
Reggie Bush sues USC, NCAA and Pac-12 for unearned NIL compensation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Severe obesity is on the rise in the US
The NYPD often shows leniency to officers involved in illegal stop and frisks, report finds
Policing group says officers must change how and when they use physical force on US streets