Current:Home > MarketsLawmakers and advocates make last-ditch push to extend affordable internet subsidy -Zenith Investment School
Lawmakers and advocates make last-ditch push to extend affordable internet subsidy
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 14:35:05
WASHINGTON (AP) — Twenty-three million families in the U.S. will have bigger internet bills starting in May. That’s because a federal broadband subsidy program they’re enrolled in is nearly out of money.
Dozens of people joined Biden administration officials, advocates and U.S. Sen. Peter Welch, a Democrat from Vermont, at a Washington public library on Tuesday to make a last-ditch plea to extend the Affordable Connectivity Program, a subsidy created by Congress and touted by President Joe Biden as part of his push to bring internet access to every U.S. household. The program, which is set to expire at the end of May, helps people with limited means pay their broadband bills.
“They need access to high-speed internet just like they need access to electricity,” Sen. Welch told the gathering. “This is what is required in a modern economy.”
The Affordable Connectivity Program, which Congress created with $14.2 billion through the bipartisan infrastructure law, provided qualifying households with a subsidy of $30 a month to help pay their internet bills. Households on tribal land received up to $75.
That help will be slashed starting in May, when enrolled households will only receive partial credits toward their internet bills. Barring any Congressional action to infuse the Affordable Connectivity Program with more cash, the subsidies will end completely at the end of the month.
“The money has run out,” FCC Commissioner Geoffrey Starks said at the event hosted by a group called Public Knowledge, a nonprofit proponent of broadband access. “Many households will have to face a tough choice: confront that rising internet bill or disconnect them and their household from the internet.”
Nearly 80 percent of households enrolled in the program said they would have to switch to a lower-tier plan or cancel their internet service altogether without the benefit, according to a survey conducted by the FCC at the end of 2023. Many have come to depend on internet access to complete homework assignments, work from home and meet other basic needs.
“This is not about can we find the money,” Sen. Welch said. “It’s about, are we committed to the priority and well-being of really wonderful people who are struggling?”
Welch and other lawmakers from both political parties introduced legislation earlier this year to extend the program through the end of the year with $7 billion. The White House has pushed for an extension but it has not happened so far.
—
Harjai is a corps member for The Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Tyra Banks Teases New Life-Size Sequel With Lindsay Lohan
- Vanessa Lachey and Nick Lachey Are Moving Out of Hawaii With 3 Kids
- US agency tasked with border security to pay $45 million over pregnancy discrimination, lawyers say
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- McDonald's debuts Happy Meals for adults, complete with collector cups. How to get yours.
- Susan Wojcicki, former YouTube CEO, dies at 56 from lung cancer
- Firefighters gain 40% containment of California’s fourth-largest wildfire on record
- Small twin
- Videos of Michael Brown protest show Ferguson, Missouri, officer being 'tackled'
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- ‘We are a safe campus’: UNLV to resume classes at site of the 2023 shooting
- 10 college football freshmen ready to make an instant impact this season
- Love Island U.K.'s Molly-Mae Hague and Tommy Fury Break Up One Year After Engagement
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Officer due in court on murder charges in shooting of pregnant Black woman accused of shoplifting
- Idaho farmer goes viral after trading in his F-250 for a Cybertruck: 'It’s really fast'
- People's Choice Country Awards 2024 Nominees: See the Complete List
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
'Massive' search for convicted murderer who escaped on way to North Carolina hospital
Takeaways: Harris’ approach to migration was more nuanced than critics or allies portray it
Vikings rookie QB J.J. McCarthy to miss season following right knee surgery to repair torn meniscus
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Snickers maker Mars to buy Kellanova, company known for Pringles, Eggos, in $36B deal
Ohio officer indicted in 2023 shooting death of pregnant woman near Columbus: What we know
Google rolls out Pixel 9 phones earlier than usual as AI race with Apple heats up